Themed Relay Races
Basic instructions for relay races:
- Separate guests into two or more groups, each with an equal number of participants.
- Each group forms a line.
- A few yards away, make a pile of relay objects for each group. Each pile contains the same set of items.
- When the race starts, the first person in each line races to the group's pile, dons all the garments, and races back to the line, removes the garments and gives them to the next person in line. That person puts them on, races to the stack area, takes them off, and races back to the line. The next person races to the stack and repeats the process until everyone in one of the lines has completed the relay, and the last person is back at the line.
- Each person dons the articles at the pile, hands them to the next person in line - who carries them to the pile area and puts them on, runs back to the line and gives them to the next person.
- Don't stop when the first team wins. Cheer on the remaining relayers until everyone has had a turn.
Theme-Related Relay Item Suggestions:
For a western party: bandana, vest, chaps, spurs, gun belt.
Luau relay: Hawaiian shirt, grass skirt, lei, elastic shell or leaf bracelet - or a green scrunchie bracelet, carry a plastic pineapple.
Hollywood party: bow tie, vest, cumberbun, feather boa, costume jewelry necklace that fits over the head.
Christmas party: Elastic santa beard, red jacket, non-prescription round spectacles, sack with gifts, black boot covers.
Halloween party: plastic glasses with nose, black cape, long purple or black gloves, a broom to ride on, a cloth belt that ties, a skeleton, spider, or pumpkin ring, a halloween necklace that fits over the head.
Note: we don't recommend using hats or wigs in relay races, especially for children, to avoid spreading "cooties."